Around the world in 30 days - Leg 2 - India


View ATW30days in a larger map
The India leg of the trip is more for family, tending to personal business, paying taxes on investment properties etc. I do want to retire early and travel in this region and so I have bought some farm lands with coconut tress to build my oasis when I turn 50. It might even become a hostel, who knows?

Day 11 - Chennai to Kallidaikurichi

My village Kallidaikurichi is where myself, my father and my grand-parents were born. It is such a serene village in the foot-hills of Western-Ghats which is a UNESCO world heritage site and a bio-diversity hot-spot. You wouldn't  find hotels here anything that caters to tourists, even local tourists. It is a village where farming is the main activity and people live with nature.


Western Ghats near Kallidaikurichi

Western Ghats
The trip to village involves a 10 hour train ride followed by an hour cab ride. Day 11 was spent getting to Kallidaikurichi.

Day 12 - Waterfalls

One of the wonderful things the southern mountains are known for are their therapeutic waterfalls. The head waters of these waterfalls flow through medicinal and aromatic herbs, the water is believed to have healing properties. For me its nostalgia and a good water massage. 
Papanasam and Manimuthar falls are in the area and can be easily reached by cab in an hour. 





Day 13- Enjoy the village with a river swim.

This is a quiet day with a trip to the local river to swim and refresh. I always wonders if this place has the potential to attract tourists for tubing and other activities. Such a wonderful place even most people in India do not know about.

Day 14- Local Eats

Enjoyed some of my favorite childhood treats, kothu parotta and  masala dosa. Spent some time shopping as well. Enjoyed some palm fruits, road-side tender coconuts.

Day 15- To Bangalore.

It is not a real touristy choice to go to Bangalore, but neither is Kallidaikurichi. While personal reasons took me to Bangalore area, there were several places of interest that I always wanted to visit over the years and I did them during this trip.  The best part about getting to Bangalore is the overnight train trip. I love travel on Indian trains I have a blog on it. Around India in 18 Trains. Perhaps you could join me on this trip in 2015.

Day 16 - Around Bangalore

There are a few places worthy of visit in the Bangalore area.
1. Dodda Alada Mara : A Giant 400 year old Banyan tree covering almost 3 acres. It is a sight to see and is very peaceful and pleasant.
2. Sangam near SriRangapatnam - On the way to Mysore is this oasis on the river cauvery. It is a wonderful place to swim in the river.
3. Srirangapatna : Famous for its temples.

Day 17 - Belur , Halebedu and Sravanabelgola

All three are gems and not to be missed. Worthy to be on the UNESCO world heritage sites. The sculptures of Belur and Halebedu are beyond comparison. The details are real intricate and are made from soft sandstone. It is sad to see some of them vandalized and others smuggled to museums in London.








Sravanabelgola is a Jain pilgrim center not far away from Belur and Halebedu. It is known for the world's largest monolithic statue of Bahubali. The site is perched on top of a hillock with sweeping views of surrounding villages.

Day 18 - More shopping ISCKON temple and departure

Today was more shopping in Bangalore a trip to ISCKON temple and getting ready for the 2 AM departure to Frankfurt. Europe here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment